What to Wear Womens Headshots & Personal Branding
Checklists for your Headshots Photo Shoot
Top 10 Ways to Pamper yourself before your photo shoot!
- Rest! Get plenty of sleep – especially the night before. Take time to wind down before turning in.
- Salon visit. Getting a refresh before your shoot can be a great confidence boost!
- Go through your makeup kit. Make sure whatever you’re bringing/using isn’t separated, old, cakey, or out of date.
- Skin treatments. If you’re thinking a spa or esthetician visit – schedule at least 1-2 weeks beforehand to give your skin time to recooperate.
- Manicure. Your hands and nails will show in some of your photos. No polish is better than chips or trendy colors.
- Moisturizer – face and hair! Be sure to condition your skin and hair – especially in winter time. Tame that frizz 🙂
- Have your jewelry, and glasses if you wear them, cleaned and adjusted.
- Put together a favorites playlist with upbeat tunes – the ones you love to sing along with! We’ll crank them up for your shoot.
- Enlist your BFF! Bring a supportive BFF with you! Who better to help you rock out your shoot, and even join in a few shots! Also great for that shopping excursion, no?
- Give yourself grace! No stress zone. We’ve got you! You won’t need to worry about what you look like – we’ll help every step of the way. Take a breath and let us do what we do best! Relax, have fun.
Top 10 Wardrobe & Clothing tips for professional headshots
- V neck or wrap tops – not too low cut. Solid colors.
- Well-fitting is critical. Fitted is WAY more flattering than flowy.
- Keep pattern simple. Your face is the 1st thing we want to see in your photos.
- Vertical stripes, if any. Vertical lines elongate.
- Avoid copyright or trademarked logos, characters, emblems on pieces
- Same color head to toe makes you look taller.
- Do bring favorite color tops, and tops color to match/enhance your eye color.
- Dry clean or iron clothing for a wrinkle free look. Allow time for pickup/delivery.
- Let’s take a spin through your closet together – zoom or facetime, or schedule a try-on before your photo shoot. That way we have time to fill in any gaps that can come up.
- If shopping beforehand, we’re happy to help with suggestions to flatter you best. Be sure to allow plenty of time for shipping.
Top 10 Makeup Tips for your Headshots
- Simple, natural, classic transcend time
- No bottom eyeliner – it makes your eyes look smaller in photos.
- Moisturize. Flaky is the worst! Often the best ‘foundation’ is a tinted moisturizer.
- Avoid orange, yellow! Match natural tone on your neck as closely as possible
- Blend jawline & neck area extra well
- Avoid contour. Studio Lighting tends to increase contrast.
- Avoid sparkly eyes and highlighter – it shows up as white spots in photos
- DO add shine to lips. Matte looks really flat and odd
- Start with less / more natural. We can add more drama and build on your look with outfit changes.
- If you’re having hair & makeup at the studio, arrive with CLEAN hair with no product, and simple moisturizer if any makeup. Feel free to bring your favorite tools/products.
What to bring to the photo studio or location
- white blouse/shirt/button down – freshly ironed and well fitting especially around shoulders and collar
- Black or navy blazer. Single or double breasted.
- Personality pieces! A few trendy favorite items from your closet to add spice to your photo shoot
- Classic Black or navy slacks freshly pressed
- Simple jewelry & accessories – simple stud earrings, plain chain necklace. Use care when packing so you don’t end up with a tangled pile.
- Your favorite glam look! Even if we’re just doing headshots, it’s fun to dress up!
- Simple camisole in nude, white, black
- Both Light AND dark foundation garments. A Strapless option is also a good idea if you have it.
- Be sure to share allergy information!
- BFF! Bring your best cheerleader!